Eating healthy food is not rocket science. It is not a complicated process and you can begin today on a gradual shift in your eating habits. The number one reason so many people don’t stick to a “new healthy fitness plan” is that they try to make too many changes, or too big of a change, all at once.
I’m going to show you how easy and simple it is to make just a few changes in your buying, preparation, and eating habits, and get on the road to healthy eating.
Get your grocery list you started yesterday. We’re building a list, one that will give you some basic ingredients to alter a few of your meals this week for the sake of your health. Nutrition is the foundation upon which all other building blocks of fitness stand.
1. Parmesan cheese. Do NOT get the dry kind in a can. I don’t know what this stuff is, but I’m pretty sure it isn’t cheese. Look in the specialty cheese section of your grocery store, and choose a couple of different brands of parmesan. You may have to experiment with different brands before you find the one you like best. But don’t give up if the first one you try is not to your liking; there is a fairly wide variety of flavors within just the parmesan family.
2. Chicken broth. You may already have this on hand, but if not, pick up several cans or cartons. You are going to use this a lot, as a base for soups, and for cooking your rice dishes in. Cooking rice in chicken stock gives the rice a wonderful flavor.
3. Vegetables. I like fresh when possible, but if fresh isn’t available, frozen will do. Frozen has more nutrition than canned, and usually tastes better too. English peas, asparagus, broccoli, and green beans are good staples to fulfill your green vegetable requirement.
4. Leafy lettuce. I like green- or red-leaf leafy lettuce, romaine, and Bib, or butter lettuce. If you have always eaten iecberg lettuce only, now is the time to discover the delights of these other, more nutritious greens.
5. Cherry tomatoes. If you like tomatoes, you will use these a lot. Use your nose to see if you can smell the tomato smell.
We’ll finish this list in the next post. Do your ten-minute walk. Head high, deep breaths!